Saturday, October 3, 2009

NHL Season Preview: Western Conference

Charlie Klein

While I am sorry to say that I was not able to fulfill my promise of providing a Western Conference breakdown yesterday, I am publishing it now, so please enjoy. I know the season has already started, but these picks are not influenced by what I have seen go down in the past few days.

CENTRAL

1. Detroit Red Wings

While everyone likes to make the 'sexy' pick of putting the Blackhawks above the Red Wings this season, I see no reason to change something that has worked so well for so long. The Red Wings have such a monopoly on this division that Congress should investigate it. And the Wings have not lost enough players to change this prediction. While Marian Hossa was a strong contributor last season, his absence in the playoffs highlighted him as surplus to requirements at the Joe. The line of Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Franzen could be the best line in the NHL. And Niklas Lidstrom is still even at the tender age of 36 a candidate for the Norris.

2. Chicago Blackhawks

Everyone loves this team. I feel like Barry Melrose just picked them because he likes their jersey, which he mentioned in his pre-season predictions. They are a fantastic team to watch and I love the way they fly around the rink. Patrick Kane, Jonathan Toews, and Patrick Sharp are all a year older and have the essential playoff experience to improve upon last season. It is not in the forward department that I find the Blackhawks to be lacking. Their goalie, Cristobal Huet, is too inconsistent and has not played to the level that the Blackhawks thought he would when they signed him from Washington. The Bulin Wall leaving to Edmonton will have a negative impact on the Blackhawks, that is for sure. They will still make a run in the playoffs, but I am not as big on the Blackhawks as everyone else.

3. St. Louis Blues

I really do not like this team. Maybe it is because of my Kansas City bias and generally disliking almost everything that has come from the state of Missouri (aside from the Steak N Shake restaurants). Their team is still pretty strong but I think they were pretty fortunate to make the playoffs last season. After the Canucks swept them, it became abundantly clear that the Blues remain poseurs on the big stage.

4. Columbus Blue Jackets

And I said the Blues were fortunate to make the playoffs... the Blue Jackets playoff qualification was truly miraculous. Rick Nash is a fantastic player and I wish he played in a bigger market or more of a hockey town than Columbus, Ohio. Their team is pretty solid, and their young goalie Steve Mason will be even better this season. They could make the playoffs, but I doubt it.

5. Nashville Predators

There really is not much to say about this team. They have a strong corps of defensemen but overall their offense is to erratic to guarantee success. I still do not understand why they have a hockey team in Nashville. Ryan Suter is a great defenseman and I like David Legwand. The Predators have two solid goalies, but I don't expect much from them this season.

NORTHWEST

1. Vancouver Canucks

I really really like this team. Don't worry, I did not just have to change my pants after writing that, but I think this Canucks team has a lot of potential. As a Canucks fan during my younger days, I always felt like if the Canucks had a legitimate tender not named Dan Cloutier that they would win the Stanley Cup in a cinch. And yet every season thus far with Roberto Luongo has ended in the same way. I was not a big fan of the Canucks re-signing the Sedin twins for the amount that they did, but hopefully they can finally put together a big season. I am a big fan of Ryan Kesler and expect big things from him this season.

2. Calgary Flames
Jerome Iginla is just too sick. One of the most under appreciated players in the NHL, he leads a very talented Flames team into the 2009-2010 season. Mikka Kiprusoff is much better than his statistics indicate last season and the addition of Jay Bouwmeester to a defense that already boasts one of the best young defenseman in the league Dion Phaneuf, all sloppy seconds aside. The Flames ran into a buzz saw last season in the Chicago Blackhawks in the first round of the playoffs. I am not sure they will avoid the same fate this season, but they may make it more interesting.

3. Edmonton Oilers

Personally, I've never really liked the Oilers. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of the Canucks, but there's something about this team I've never liked. Ales Hemsky and Shawn Horcoff will be major contributors to their offense this season, and the addition of the Bulin Wall (Nikolai Khabibulin) will be an improvement to their defense, but I just don't see them making many moves this season in the West.

4. Colorado Avalanche

This pick may come as a surprise, but I really think the Avalanche will not finish last in this division. Maybe they will use the Opening Night Joe Sakic ceremony as inspiration for the rest of the season. There is also the usual will Peter Forsberg return questions being asked around the Pepsi Center. What we do know about the Avalanche this season is that they still have Milan Hejduk, Paul Stasny, and Jean Michael-Liles. They also brought back Adam Foote to captain their team this season. The Avs success this season is largely dependent upon getting consistent goalie play from either Craig Anderson or Peter Budaj.

5. Minnesota Wild

Their chant "Let's go Wild" is about the only good thing going for the Wild this season. The loss of Marian Gaborik, without getting anything in return, definitely hurts them this season. The addition of Martin Havlat from the Chicago Blackhawks is a decent replacement, but does not do enough to account for Gaborik's blistering speed (few players in the NHL can skate as fast). Goalie Niklas Backstrom will keep them in a lot of games, but ultimately they will be cellar dwellers in 2009-2010.

PACIFIC

1. San Jose Sharks

Everyone loves the Sharks this term. The same statement was true last year, and the year before that. Perennial post-season underachievers, the San Jose Sharks opted to trade for goal machine Dany Heatley during the offseason from Ottawa. While not the greatest locker room guy (which explains why he has played for so many teams before the age of 28), Heatley has a proven track record of scoring. Put him on a line with assist machine Joe Thornton and you have instant reliable offense. The evergreen Rob Blake captains this team this season, which takes some of the pressure off of Patrick Marleau. This could ultimately be the best thing for both Marleau and the team. And they have the perennial Vezina Trophy candidate Evgeni Nabokov back in net. The Sharks should take this division with relative ease.

2. Anaheim Ducks

My name is Jonas. It is a classic Weezer song, but it is also the name of the next big goalie to come out of the Anaheim Ducks system. While others may want to get Giggy with it, I'm sticking with Jonas Hiller. I like the Ducks roster a lot this season. I think Scott Niedermayer could play until he is Chris Chelios' age and still maintain a high level of play. Ryan Getzlaf is an emerging young star in this league, it is too bad that he gets overshadowed by Ovechkin and Crosby because he plays in Anaheim. The Ducks forward lines of Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan, Corey Perry, Joffrey Lupul, Saku Koivu, and Teemu Selanne should be enough to produce this season.

3. Dallas Stars

While I personally object to their being a hockey team in Dallas, the city has taken to the idea and the Stars should have another decent season. I picked them to finish third because Marty Turco is a year older and because the forwards are just too old. Why on earth is Mike Modano still playing hockey? His best years are behind him and he is slowing the progress of the Stars by sticking around hoping for another shot at a Cup. I'm not a big fan of Stars captain Brenden Morrow (not because of how I feel about Mariners pitcher Brendan Morrow) and the only reason I am picking them to finish third is because I love the name Jeff Woywitka.

4. Los Angeles Kings

Oh how long ago it really feels since Wayne Gretzky and Luc Robataille brought hockey to the front pages of the Los Angeles Times. I oftentimes forget they even have a hockey team in Los Angeles. Just kidding. All jokes aside, this current Kings team does not offer much for the 2009-2010 campaign. What Kings fans can look forward to this season is the continued progression of their emerging star Anze Kopitar. Kopitar is only 22 years old and is already an assistant captain on this team. He too is overshadowed by the young stars out east, but believe me, in a few years his name will be right up there with the very best. The Kings also have two solid goalies in the young Jonathan Quick (23) and Erik Ersberg, but I do not think it will be enough for them this season. As Lil Wayne said about Miley Cyrus, in about three years, holla at me L.A. Kings.

5. Phoenix Coyotes

Gary Bettman, please move this team. I apologize if you live in the Phoenix/Glendale, Arizona area, but quite frankly, there should not be a hockey team in Arizona, especially one this bad. It has been a while since the days of Jeremy Roenick and even the Great One Wayne Gretzky became too fed up with this team. Ilya Bryzgalov is a pretty good goalie and I've always liked Shane Doan, but the Coyotes do not have near enough talent to make a run this year. Kyle Turris could emerge as another bright young star in the constellation of Getzlaf, Kopitar, etc out west, but that's really all you Coyotes fans can hope for this year.

SO the Western Conference Playoff Picture:

1. San Jose Sharks
2. Vancouver Canucks
3. Detroit Red Wings
4. Chicago Blackhawks
5. Calgary Flames
6. Anaheim Ducks
7. Edmonton Oilers
8. St. Louis Blues

No comments:

Post a Comment