Thursday, October 1, 2009

NHL Season Preview 2009

Charlie Klein

The National Hockey League is the most under appreciated sport in the United States. Family, friends, comrades, et. al, this is the year to get into the NHL if you have not already. The league has some amazing young talent that is in the process of redefining the way the game is played. More importantly, the game is much more competitive, with almost any team (to the exclusion of Florida, New York Islanders, and Phoenix) having a slap shot at winning Lord Stanley's Cup. With that, I shall commence my picks for each division, who makes the playoffs, and will identify a couple of players to watch for each team this season. Today I will publish my picks for the Eastern Conference, and tomorrow I will put out my picks for the West.

ATLANTIC

1. Pittsburgh Penguins
As much as I personally would like to say that last year was a fluke, that they could not possibly win it all again, I cannot say that. The Penguins are a legitimate team again this season with a definite capability of winning the Cup. I love watching Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin and their goalie Marc-Andre Fleury is superb. The supporting cast of Sykora, Staal, and Kunitz make the Penguins the logical choice for this division.

2. New York Rangers

Call it a homer pick, but I really believe the Rangers are ready to be the second best team and really push the Penguins for the top spot in the division. The trade of Scott Gomez to Montreal could be a boon for the Rangers, as Christopher Higgins offers more of a goal scoring threat at a lower price. The Rangers also added the speedy Slovak winger Marian Gaborik, who should lighten the pressure on Chris Drury to be the Mr. Everything on both ends of the ice. The Rangers are a bit untested in defense, but they still have King Henrik Lundqvist between the pipes, and expect a big year from him.

3. Philadelphia Flyers

The Flyers look strong again this year following a disappointing performance against eventual champions Pittsburgh in the playoffs. The addition of Chris Pronger is a significant upgrade to their defense and their forwards are just as strong as ever. Claude Giroux was a nice player for them at the end of last season, and I expect big things from him this term. Do not be surprised if each of the top three teams in this division make the playoffs, it is that good. Reason I picked the Flyers this low is because I have no confidence in Ray Emery's ability to remain consistent.

4. New Jersey Devils

The Devils could also make the playoffs this season, but I just don't see them stacking up with the rest of the division in terms of the quality of their roster. Sure, any team with Martin Brodeur always has a chance and Zach Parise is a tremendous player, but I do not see them making many waves this season.

5. New York Islanders

Oh what a mess this franchise is in! I do not see them doing anything at all this season. I do hope that their No. 1 overall pick John Tavares provides a spark to their lacklustre offense and gives me a reason to watch their games (whenever they are televised). Dwayne Roloson is a solid addition in case Rick DiPietro gets injured again, which would not surprise me in the least. No playoffs for the Islanders this season. Expect another draft pick in the top five next season.

NORTHEAST

1. Boston Bruins

I love watching Milan Lucic play hockey. Aside from Alexander Ovechkin, Roberto Luongo and Henrik Lundqvist, he is my favourite player in the NHL. The lad can check, fight, slap, shoot, pass, and score all day. He is one of the young players in the league who I think have the opportunity to broaden the appeal of the game. All of my love for Looch aside, the Bruins have a very deep squad again this season. The trade of Phil Kessel to Toronto will have an impact on their season to be sure, but there is still enough quality to see them through. Goaltender Tim Thomas, last season's Vezina Trophy winner for best goaltender in the NHL, is a rock in defense, as well as Zdeno Chara, who won the Norris Trophy for the NHL's best defenseman.

2. Montreal Canadiens

I sort of picked the Canadiens to finish in this position by default. I am not impressed with Ottawa, Toronto, or Buffalo so I just slotted the Canadiens in second. I expect goalie Carey Price to have an improved season and the Canadiens always seem to have a nice set of forwards, including the Brothers Kostitsyn, although Sergei is currently in a hold out. The Canadiens also added Scott Gomez, in part to replace the departed Alexei Kovalev (now on the Ottawa Senators). They should have a decent year, although nothing commensurate to their teams of old.

3. Toronto Maple Leafs

I honestly like the work that the Leafs have done this offseason. The signing of Jonas Gustavsson, aka the Monster, is a big addition to their defense as I expect him to play much better than Vesa Toskala this season. I like the addition of Kessel, albeit at a steep cost, but it makes them a more valid contender this season. I don't see them making the playoffs, but it will be a better year for the Air Canada Centre crowd than those previous. I am a big fan of Nikolai Kulemin and I expect big things from him the season. The Leafs are not quite back to the days during which Pat Quinn was at the helm, but they are improving.

4. Buffalo Sabres

Sorry Buffalo Sabres fans, but Terrell Owens cannot play hockey too. The Sabres still have Thomas Vanek and solid depth, but I don't see them mounting a serious challenge to any of the teams at the top of this division. Ryan Miller is a quality goaltender, but not enough so that he can carry this team single-handedly. The Sabres should just be happy they get to play Ottawa this season. Speaking of...

5. Ottawa Senators

The trade of Dany Heatley to the San Jose Sharks could be just what the free Canadian doctor ordered for the Senators' locker room, but it also leaves a gargantuan void in the offensive department. Getting Jonathan Cheechoo is solid compensation, but he is not going to score you 50 goals a year, or near that on a consistent basis. Daniel Alfredsson is still a great forward and Jason Spezza is a fantastic centre, but I do not see the rest of the team stepping up this season. Kovalev + Cheechoo does not equal Dany Heatley, and as such the Sens will suffer. And their jerseys, not too good this season

SOUTHEAST

1. Washington Capitals

I'm banking on the Caps making big moves this season. With additional playoff experience, the young guns of Alexander Ovechkin, Niklas Backstrom, Alexander Semin, Mike Green, and backup goaltender Simeon Varlamov, the Capitals have the roster to do it all this year. What's more, they play in a relatively weaker division that will not take as much work to win as the Northeast or Atlantic.

2. Carolina Hurricanes

Any team with Eric Staal has a solid chance to do pretty well. One of the best players in the NHL who does not get the same pub as Crosby or Ovechkin, Staal can do it all and aside from a bad performance in the Eastern Conference Finals versus the Pittsburgh Penguins, had a great 2008-2009. Cam Ward is spectacular when in form and the Canes have the veteran leadership of Rob Brind'Amour. I'll say they barely make the playoffs this season.

3. Tampa Bay Lightning

While I do not think they will return to their Stanley Cup Champion form, I expect the Lightning to do better this season. After giving us back Barry Melrose, how could I want bad things for them? Their No. 1 line of Alex Tanguay, Vincent Lecavalier, and Martin St. Louis is pretty damn strong and their supporting cast are not bad with the inclusion of Ryan Malone. The Bolts also have solid goalie depth with Antero Nittymaki and Mike Smith. While I do not expect them to win the division, they could theoretically overtake Carolina this year.

4. Atlanta Thrashers

I'm slotting them ahead of the Panthers by virtue of the fact that they have Ilya Kovalchuk. I honestly wish that Kovalchuk played in a bigger market or just on a team that had more passionate supporters than the Atlanta Thrashers. He does not have a bevy of talent around him, especially when you visit the Thrashers website he is advertised next to their next best player, Nik Antropov, who is not nearly as good as Ilya. Kovalchuk is a free agent after this season, so look for him to be dealt at the deadline or be the biggest free agent on the market next summer.

5. Florida Panthers

Could all of last year's progress be undone by losing one player? It certainly feels like it with the Florida Panthers. This offseason to avoid getting nothing for Jay Bouwmeester, the Panthers traded him to the Calgary Flames for Jordan Leopold and a third round pick. While I think Leopold has great potential and will be a star for the U.S. Men's team in the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver, he is not Jay Bouwmeester. The Panthers still have Tomas Vokoun, Stephen Weiss, and David Booth, I do not expect them to do much better than the Islanders this season. I love their announcer, but I just can't extend that love to the team in the 2009-2010.

SO the Eastern Conference Playoff picture will look something like this

1. Washington Capitals
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Boston Bruins
4. New York Rangers
5. Philadelphia Flyers
6. Montreal Canadiens
7. New Jersey Devils
8. Carolina Hurricanes

No comments:

Post a Comment