Sunday, February 14, 2010

2010 Major League Baseball Season Preview: New York Yankees

Charlie Klein

Over the next 30 days, the 4-1-1 On Sports will give you the 4-1-1 on every team in Major League Baseball. Tonight we are going to preview the 2009 World Champion New York Yankees. I am probably one of the biggest Yankee haters out there, but Yanks fans, I think I've been pretty fair in this piece, let me know what you think.

Key Additions:

Curtis Granderson (CF)
Javier Vazquez (SP)
Nick Johnson (1B/DH)
Randy Winn (LF)
Chan Ho Park (P)

Key Departures:

Johnny Damon (OF)
Ian Kennedy (SP)
Austin Jackson (OF)

For the New York Yankees, it's more about the players that are returning than the player's they've brought in that will determine what kind of success the Bronx Bombers expect to have in 2010. I'm a believer in the idea that one should continue to buy into the defending champion until the next one is crowned, and in the Yankees case I see very little that makes me think they will not repeat as at least AL East Division champs. Adding Curtis Granderson gives them a legitimate every-day center fielder that the platoon of Melky Cabrera and Brett Gardner did not last season. I am unconvinced about Javier Vazquez's ability to pitch well on the big stage. Whenever he's pitched for a big market club (Chicago White Sox and New York Yankees) his ERA is 4.54 versus his ERA for smaller market clubs (Montreal Expos, Arizona Diamondbacks, and Atlanta Braves) which is 4.12 (which includes his rookie year of 6.00 with the Expos). I don't think their success is entirely dependent upon him, but I think he does have a major role to play in deciding whose 1-2-3 in the AL East is good enough to win the division.

Projected 2010 Starting Nine

1. Curtis Granderson (CF)
2. Derek Jeter (SS)
3. Mark Teixiera (1B)
4. Alex Rodriguez (3B)
5. Robinson Cano (2B)
6. Jorge Posada (C)
7. Nick Johnson (DH)
8. Nick Swisher (RF)
9. Randy Winn (LF)

Projected 2010 Starting Rotation

1. C.C. Sabathia
2. A.J. Burnett
3. Javier Vazquez
4. Andy Pettitte
5. Joba Chamberlain

Top Reliever: Phil Hughes

Closer: Mariano Rivera

Predicted Finish: First in the AL East.

2 comments:

  1. I will say this is fair post. I must say I like how you said they probably wont repeat as Al East Champions but it end they are winning it. I agree with your concerns over Vazquez but I think he will be fine 200 ings from the 3/4 spot in the rotation will help our bullpen. The only thing i would disagree with is the starting nine. Jeter will be leading off no matter what. Curtis will hit either 2nd against righties and 7th against lefties. Brett Gardner will win the LF/CF job not Winn. I always believe Gardner was our Jacoby Elisberry and i think this yr he breaks out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still worried about the bullpen. My concern is mostly with the late inning matchup against power lefties. Considering that most teams worry if their 1/2 starters are good, we have two ace pitchers and that seemed to be enough to get us through the series this last year. The reacquisition of Vasquez can only help.

    ReplyDelete