Saturday, June 27, 2009

Daily Fail: Geovany Soto




Charlie Klein and Puneet Singh

Geovany Soto apparently smoked pot. SO THAT'S WHY HIS AVERAGE IS .228! Makes all the sense in the world. The news that the Cubs catcher had flirted with the illegal drug during the World Baseball Classic in March came as a surprise to many. It also led to many baseball analysts blaming Soto's poor start to the year on his burgeoning love for the burning green leaf. Could it be something baseball/hitting related? NO OF COURSE IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT! When one looks for a correlation between marijuana use and athletic performance it appears as though there is none. Names like Daryl Strawberry, Michael Phelps, and Doc Gooden all come to mind.

Things like this just make me chuckle. Then one of my favourite all-time managers Lou Pinella chimes in with some top class press conference material explaining Soto's experimentation with marijuana.

"Look, I have smoked dope one time in my life and didn't do a damn thing for me," Piniella said. "I never tried it again; I'm fortunate because of that. A lot of people do [use it] you can even buy it in California from a pharmacy."

Were things really that boring for the Puerto Rican team in the WBC that smoking pot became a way to pass the time? I guess the WBC has shown its true nature, one of destruction. Now it may claim Geovany Soto's first half stats in addition to the injury troubles of Red Sox starter Daisuke Matsuzaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment