Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Stephen Strasburg's Debut: As Good As It Gets?


Charles Klein

Last night with my buddy, we were sitting on his basement couch looking at each other in amazement. I said to him "FOURTEEN STRIKE OUTS! FOURTEEN STRIKE OUTS!?!? But, HOW!?!" Neither of us had any idea. That refrain repeated in my head all night, I simply could not process it. It certainly helped me forget the o-fer by Ray Allen.

Stephen Strasburg's line from last night: 7 innings-pitched, 4 hits, 14 strikeouts, 2 earned runs, zero walks.

In his first game!?! Really!?!?!

Honestly I cannot even contain my surprise at just how well he pitched. I was able to catch the first few innings and was blown away. Strasburg pitches as quickly as Cliff Lee, throws as hard as Randy Johnson and locates his breaking ball like Maddux. Certainly his debut looks better because he faced the worst hitting team in the Majors, the team Colin Cowherd refers to as a Triple-A team. And yes, the Pirates really are a dreadful team, but I don't care who you face, 14 strikeouts is impressive.

Just watching the movement of his pitches last night had me all dither. Seriously, the way his fastball rises, the drop on the breaking ball and the effectiveness of his changeup was a delight to watch. I don't think I've seen a pitcher like him in my life.

Now this is only one start, and at 21 years-old, Strasburg has much more to do to truly cement his status as the best pitcher in the game. And at that age, he will, at some point, pitch like a 21 year-old. Last night he looked nothing like a guy who was making his debut in front of a sold out crowd who was only there to see him pitch.

I understand all of the comparisons to Mark Prior and Kerry Wood, but I do not think that the same fate awaits Strasburg. The Nationals are going to baby Strasburg and prevent him from throwing too many innings, something which the Cubs failed to do with both Wood and Prior. Additionally, Strasburg has already reached deity status in Washington and the media there will never get on him in the manner in which the Chicago media roasted Prior and Wood. And both Wood and Prior came up with the Cubs when the team was expected to contend and was in the World Series winner discussion. While the future of the Nationals rests on Strasburg's shoulders, no one expects the team to go to the World Series any time soon (aside from maybe Rob Dibble).

And for anyone who missed the highlights click here.

Washington D.C. already has Alexander Ovechkin, appears to be getting John Wall and now has Stephen Strasburg. The city may become more than just the nation's capital, it could also become the home of the best players in the nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment