Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Damned United


Charles Klein

While at my local library, I browsed the shelves for some movies to watch in my fit of summertime boredom. I had heard about this movie before, and really liked Michael Sheen in The Queen and during his four episode arc on NBC's 30 Rock (there's only one Wesley Snipes!). So I decided to check it out, and loved it.

The Damned United is the story of Brian Clough's 44 days in charge of English football club Leeds United. It chronicles his time managing Derby County out of Britain's Second Division and to the First Division title the year following through flashback sequences. The film also stars Timothy Spall (Harry Potter & The Prisoner of Azkaban) and Stephen Graham (This Is England, Snatch).

For all fans of football (or soccer) this film is a must-watch. Sheen's depiction of Clough is spellbinding and everything in the film is absolutely authentic and faithful to English football of that era. It gives the viewer a brilliant window into what the second division grounds looked like and the atmospheres that set them apart.

As a person who is absolutely obsessed with football, I could not help but get swept up in the energy this film effervesces with ease. If I already was dying to go to England and experience football the way it is meant to be experienced, this film made me want to go even more.

But don't take my word for it, see it for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment