Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Kobe Breaks All-Time Lakers Scoring Record

Charlie Klein

This just in: Kobe Bryant is kind of a good basketball player. Last night Kobe overtook his idol Jerry West for first all-time in points scored in Los Angeles Lakers franchise history. For Bryant the Lakers scoring record becomes yet another milestone in a truly awe-inspiring career.

Kobe will forever suffer with comparisons to Michael Jordan, and yet in my mind to attempt to compare those two is unfair to both parties. Certainly both Jordan and Bryant exhibit the most obviously fierce competitive natures the NBA has seen in some time. Each of them had the ability to create their own shot even with the other team's defense acutely aware that with the game on the line the ball would be in Kobe's or Michael's hands. And more often than not, both players managed to hit shots that players with less bottle would miss.

But the comparisons stop there. Jordan made his clear lack of maturity obvious during what could be only referred to as a train wreck of statements laced with egotism. Certainly Jordan was one of the best to ever play the game, but his own psychological frame of mind makes him think that he could still beat Kobe 1-on-1 right now. Bryant has developed into a much more mature and conscious person as he has aged. Certainly when he was first taking the league by storm modesty was not his policy. But as he has made game winning shot after game winning shot year after year, Kobe has become a respectable man and role model for anyone who believes in the value of hard work.

The NBA today is truly a treat to watch. On an autobiographical note, I never really cared much for the Association in spite of players like Shawn Kemp, Detlef Schremp, Gary Payton, and Ray Allen playing for the Seattle Sonics. Now that my hometown does not have a team, I find that I am watching more NBA games than ever. Even though I am not a fan of the Lakers, I am continually mystified every time I watch Kobe hit impossible shots with ease. Many people have rushed to label LeBron James as the best in the NBA, but for my money I always go with Kobe. Bryant is the most clutch player I've ever watched and if I ever needed someone to hit a fade away three to save my life, I'd choose Kobe. LeBron's time will certainly come and I am certainly happy that he is on my fantasy basketball team. But for me, Kobe is the best I've ever seen. I did not really watch much basketball during the Jordan era, so I cannot really take him over Bryant.

So thank you Kobe, for continuing to be amazing. If you don't believe me, watch this:

No comments:

Post a Comment