Monday, February 15, 2010

2010 Major League Baseball Season Preview: Philadelphia Phillies



Charlie Klein

Just like the team I previewed yesterday, I am one of the biggest Phillies haters around. My dislike for the team pushed me to rooting for the Yankees in the World Series, a feat that I hope never to have to repeat in my life. But, I will say that most of the articles I have written about the Phillies have been objective and fair.

Key Additions:

Roy Halladay (SP)
Jose Contreras (SP)
Danys Baez (RP)
Brian Schneider (C)
Placido Polanco (3B)
Ross Gload (OF)
Tyson Gillies (OF)
J.C. Ramirez (SP)
Phillippe Aumont (RP)

Key Departures:

Cliff Lee (SP)
Pedro Feliz (3B)

The Phillies were major players in the 2010 MLB offseason. General Manager Ruben Amaro swapped aces by trading for Roy Halladay and dealing Cliff Lee to the Seattle Mariners. While I definitely question the decision to unload Lee, the addition of Halladay is a coup for the Phils. Undeniably one of the best pitchers in the game for the past decade, Halladay will dominate the DH-free lineups of the National League this season. The Phillies also improved offensively, if that was even possible, by signing Placido Polanco to play third base this season. Polanco, a career .303 hitter, adds good defense to a lineup that already excels in the field and in the batter's box.

The biggest questions surrounding this Phillies squad for me are Brad Lidge and Cole Hamels. Lidge went from being 'Lights Out Lidge' to being 'Motel 6 Lidge' blowing 11 saves. Following the 2008 Postseason, everyone in baseball expected nothing but great things from Cole Hamels. And when he mouthed off about the Mets, he too proved to be a little anti-clutch for the Phils last season. Hamels was 1o-11, with a 4.32 ERA last season and got lit up in the one World Series start he made.

All of that being said, I expect the Phillies to win this division again with relative ease. I have not seen enough from Florida, Atlanta, or New York that would make me think otherwise. However, I remain unconvinced by their rotation depth and bullpen. It will be interesting to see how the Phillies young prospects develop over the course of the season.

Projected 2010 Starting Nine

1. Jimmy Rollins (SS)
2. Placido Polanco (3B)
3. Chase Utley (2B)
4. Ryan Howard (1B)
5. Jayson Werth (RF)
6. Raul Ibanez (LF)
7. Shane Victorino (CF)
8. Carlos Ruiz (C)
9. Roy Halladay (SP)

Projected 2010 Rotation

1. Roy Halladay
2. J.A. Happ
3. Cole Hamels
4. Joe Blanton
5. Jamie Moyer

Top Reliever: Ryan Madson

Closer: Brad Lidge

Predicted Finish: First in the NL East.

2 comments:

  1. Who is Ryan Madsen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha yes i will edit that. you know, the guy they called the mad dog who played for the lakers.

    ReplyDelete