Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day in Sports

Charlie Klein

Days like Veteran's Day, you know, days on which we are supposed to reflect on those who have experienced things beyond what we have done in our lives, are sometimes difficult to relate to one's own life. I am sitting here at my computer wondering how best to honour those who have made incredible sacrifices in order for me to enjoy the life that I have.

Sports is probably the biggest contributor to my upbringing, more so than for many others whose livelihoods were not dependent upon a sports team. Therefore, I view most things through the lens of sports and how it impacts the world and myself. There are always stories within sports that relate to issues of greater importance. On a day like Veteran's Day, where we honour those who serve or have served in the United States Armed Forces, it would only be natural for me to reflect upon my experiences with the Naval Academy football team.

When my family and I lived in Annapolis, Maryland we sponsored a Midshipman. For those who are not familiar with how this works, it is basically when a family who lives within a certain mile radius of the Academy decides that they would like to "adopt" a Middie to take them out to dinner or invite them over to their house. The Midshipman that we received from the Academy was Lenter Thomas, a safety in the USNA football programme (bear in mind that I was about 10 years-old). My family and I would take him out to dinner in Annapolis or have him over to our house, where Lenter and I would play Madden until it was time for him to return.

It was Lenter who got my father and I field passes to an Army vs. Navy game at Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. It was my first time attending one of these games, and as a sports fan it is an occasion that ought to make every sports fan's bucket list. I remember walking on that old astro-turf field and thinking how cool it was to be there. Navy won the game and my father and I met up with Lenter before we returned to Annapolis.

My father used to also work at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. My family and I would attend Naval Academy games and watch them, for the most part, lose to mid-major teams. It was, however, an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

As I reflect upon Veterans Day and my experiences with those who have served, I cannot thank those who have given everything to ensure that I can enjoy the freedoms that I have. I may not agree with the causes that force such men and women into harm's way, but I will always support our troops.

Let us sports geeks not forget, especially today, what brave sacrifices our athletes made to preserve our freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment